| Author |
Topic  |
|
|
DJMikeOz
Captain
 

USA
Member Since: |
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 06:58:16 AM
|
Attention! This Mod does not work! Unless you find some way of sealing the two halves, you will experience complete frustration as your BB's fly only Two feet. I will ammend this mod as soon as I recieve a full lenght barrel. Untill then, do not perform this exact mod on your LPEG.
Kayo, This is the Barrel Mod.
I started by visiting my local miniature/model train store. A good hobby shop should also carry what you will be looking for. I started with a 9/32inch brass tube. You may build this up with more brass as they are designed to fit inside or over the top of each other, so buy many sizes both smaller and especially bigger.
All I simply did for this mod was to extend the existing barrel by adding on to it. Those of you who have longer barrels from other guns or have purchased aftermarket barrels would do much better to use those instead, because multiple pieces to the barrel are hard to line up and keep lined up. For this I say use super glue or even better, epoxy cement, wich would hold better.
In the picture below you will see how I glued the extension in. I left about a half an inch of spare length for a coupler to another extension I plan on building into the mock suppressor that was included with the gun. Giving me even more accuracy. But that is for a later time.

The next picture is just a clearer shot of the extended barrel and how much it sticks out. it does not protrude from the end of my flash hider and cannot be seen from the front of the gun.

In both pictures you can see the suppressor and the plastic tube in the background I plan to use for my next project.
This modification is too general in it's conception and also why I've not gone into too much detail about it. Simply put, be creative for this mod. Use your imagination. This is a very simple task for upgrading your LPEG and I truly believe that anybody can do this. Sadly I didn't do much at all on this mod, and I don't feel like I need to take any credit for it. It only took me about 10 minutes to complete and there are much better ways to do this.
What took me a while to complete was installing real steel sling mounts and that only took so long because I had to drill into the lead weight at the bottom of the pistol grip.
Anyways, However you accomplish this peticular mod is, in your own way...unique. If you can find the appropriate meterials then by all means, perform this mod. It is really cheap to do it this way. But I reccommend purchasing an aftermarket tightbore for this project. Nothing too tight, because you want to retain the ability to use just about anything you can buy cheap to shoot with. After all, it is only an LPEG.
Good luck, you know the drill.
-Mike |
|
|
doofus333
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 03/25/2005 |
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 07:20:01 AM
|
| nice guide! i had already done this mod, nevertheless, i have a question.i swapped my barrel for the hardballer II's, but i had to cut it down a bit. i noticed as i was installing it, that i really had to force it into the hop up chamber, and that when i put it down the shaft the barrel runs down, i was scraping plastic off the sides. now, of course, bbs aren't shooting straight. to make matters worse, i've run completely out of them, so i won't be able to properly diagnose the problem until i get some. so what do you think this is? think it's the hope up,or possibly metal or plastic shavings at the end of the barrel? thanks |
 |
|
|
aguyfromthewest
Captain
 
![]()
USA
Member Since: 03/18/2005 |
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 1:38:17 PM
|
| Great guide. |
 |
|
|
justsomeguy
Colonel
   

USA
Member Since: 07/08/2004 |
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 3:50:57 PM
|
| The only problem with this I can see is that not all glues are airtight. |
 |
|
|
beckmen
Sergeant


USA
Member Since: 07/10/2005 |
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 4:45:01 PM
|
Why would it have to be airtight?
This barrel mod is one thing I do plan on doing to my M4, and maybe other guns in the future. I hate how the thing has such a short barrel. There's excuse for it. The Suppresor and Extended Barrel with Flash Hider should both have a 7mm or so barrel in them to increase accuracy. I don't understand why they don't.
Also, the BBs from my M4 like to go ALL over the place. I mean sometimes I BB will veer so far off target I will be in shock. Is this a common problem from the barrel, or is it the low-grade BBs I am using?
|
 |
|
|
justsomeguy
Colonel
   

USA
Member Since: 07/08/2004 |
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 6:06:39 PM
|
| Beckmen, it's very simple. If it's not airtight, then the air escapes, which makes it less effective. |
 |
|
|
gunblazer
Sergeant


USA
Member Since: 04/26/2005 |
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 6:33:02 PM
|
| well theres the fact of barrel suck too. but maybe his piston head mod added enough FPS to counter this. |
 |
|
|
DJMikeOz
Captain
 

USA
Member Since: 12/17/2004 |
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 11:47:56 PM
|
Doofus, Check for Shavings in the hop up area and recheck that channel for burs and uneven areas. You may have to file or dremmel it out some more.
Beckmen, You need to mod your hop up. Once you have done the hop up mod, you should have increased accuracy by a small margin.
Gunblazer, I hope so.
Justsomeguy, I know there is definatly no seal between my extension and the orriginal barrels. That's why I reccommend a full length barrel that is one piece.
Aguyfromthewest, It's not that good. At least, not as good as the others, but thank you. |
 |
|
|
uberwoot
Sergeant

Member Since: 07/29/2005 |
Posted - 08/13/2005 : 12:30:15 PM
|
| yeah i just took a brass tube on my ak cut it to size debured the inside whare i cut it and gave it a nice polish then just jamed it into the whipe peace and its 1000 times better than stock. |
 |
|
|
Eddy72
Captain
 

USA
Member Since: 11/27/2004 |
Posted - 08/13/2005 : 1:43:30 PM
|
Hey DjMike I think I might know what the problem is. I tried to do this sort of thing to my gun and this is what I found out:
* I got a long WELL M-16 barrel with a small hole on the end of it (dont ask...) and I alighned the barrels and went to fire. The first time I aligned the barrels, the side with the hole was sticking out.
* I shot it, and guess what. It shot 2 feet like you said.
* So I went and switched the barrel to have the side with the hole meet with the original barrel.
* Now guess what? It shot substantially further! And I think i know the reason.
It is because of the vent hole at the end of my barrel. It allows some air to escape, thus eliminating the vaccum effect. When I have the time, I am going to drill some more small vent holes to completly eliminate the vaccum effect.
Hope this helps! |
 |
|
|
uberwoot
Sergeant

Member Since: 07/29/2005 |
Posted - 08/13/2005 : 1:49:39 PM
|
Its like paintball theres some math we gotta do i forgot the formula.
but it will tell you how big of ports you need and how meny and spaceing for a barrel say 18 inches long shooting a .12g bb |
 |
|
|
Eddy72
Captain
 

USA
Member Since: 11/27/2004 |
Posted - 08/13/2005 : 2:08:36 PM
|
quote: Originally posted by uberwoot
Its like paintball theres some math we gotta do i forgot the formula.
but it will tell you how big of ports you need and how meny and spaceing for a barrel say 18 inches long shooting a .12g bb
What? |
 |
|
|
Andrew
Sergeant


USA
Member Since: 11/21/2004 |
Posted - 08/13/2005 : 2:28:07 PM
|
| I think he means calculating the volume of air in the piston chamber and finding out how much barrel length uses up that volume. Then you know where to put the hole so as to get the most velocity out of the bb before letting the air escape. Basically, I'm assuming the longer barrel then just gives the bb more accuracy? |
 |
|
|
uberwoot
Sergeant

Member Since: 07/29/2005 |
Posted - 08/13/2005 : 3:17:24 PM
|
ok a longer barrel will not give you more range and accuracy. at a certant point and size it stops with most paintball guns its around 16 inchs. porting just helps some air move out that would cause turbelance inside the barrel and make your shots move from side to side. How ever some guns need ported barrels if they fire fast and you use full auto alot. after a little ways down the barrel the first bb will make turbelance on the 2nd bb what will make it move to the left or right or up or down and not be on target. ports will let that turbelance vent so the bb will be more on target.
like this i put a full size on my ak. now some of that barrel is doing nothing if i do the math i can find out how much say like the last 2 inches for example. now i could do some math to cal. how much air volume is in the barrel per shot and at maxum fire say 9 shots per second. Now for a example during full auto there may be 3 bb's in the barrel all at the same time 1 at the front 1 in the middle and 1 in the back. the shot in the front is makeing turbelance on the shots in the back so the front 2 inchs of porting if dont right will get rid of that turbelance in front of that 2nd and 3rd shot b4 the bb even knows it. This will give you way tighter shot groupeings and wont take away any accuracy from semi auto.
but you just cant drill holes theres alot of math you need to do to give you how meny ports you need how big they need to be how far spaced out ect. thats the only reason i havent tryed it yet but i might do it on my ak and then do the math and make a guide on how to do it for a few outher guns. just remember you gotta hone the inside of the barrel after to get ride of the burrs from drilling. its not easy to do and it will take some time. |
 |
|
|
DJMikeOz
Captain
 

USA
Member Since: 12/17/2004 |
Posted - 08/13/2005 : 3:59:57 PM
|
Thank you for your input guys. I was getting really pissed with this project. I was under the assumption that my piston mod was totally f'd up. Although all tests proved otherwise. I dissassembled my gearbox probably 15-20 times or so (I lost count)and I was getting pissed because I couldn't find anything wrong. Thank you for the comfirmation on the problem being the barrel. I will drill a small hole and see if that works. if not I'll just tape it up. lol, and I thought that hollow coughing sound coming from my gun sounded cool too. I was back tracking all my mods to figure out where I went wrong and I finally figured out I was creating back-pressure with the extension. I've never wanted to kick my own @ss so much in my life. Gawd I felt dumb. I almost ordered a full lenthg barrel this morning, but alas, the calling of the Walther P99 compact was greater. At least I don't have to rip the whole barrel mod out though. I glued it in really solid and I was lementing the fact i would have to dremmel it all out. Thanks again for the responses. You guys are great.
-Mike |
 |
|
|
Sigil
Private
USA
Member Since: 08/14/2005 |
Posted - 08/19/2005 : 11:45:22 AM
|
| How far down did you put the holes, and how many did you have to drill, Mike? I've got a 12 inch barrel and I'm getting the same problem you were fighting with. |
 |
|
|
DJMikeOz
Captain
 

USA
Member Since: 12/17/2004 |
Posted - 08/19/2005 : 5:02:29 PM
|
| Measure the distance of the orriginal barrel. that should be about where you want to drill. I haven't done this part yet so please post your results. |
 |
|
|
Drake_M4A1
Sergeant


USA
Member Since: 07/01/2005 |
Posted - 08/20/2005 : 12:23:10 AM
|
| I just tore my neonFire apary last night. Imve found a mod that could change the overall performance of the gun. If everything works the way i want it to ill post the mod. |
 |
|
|
DJMikeOz
Captain
 

USA
Member Since: 12/17/2004 |
Posted - 08/20/2005 : 08:03:44 AM
|
| Good. I would like that. |
 |
|
|
yf22k
Private
![]()
USA
Member Since: 01/13/2003 |
Posted - 11/01/2005 : 01:56:42 AM
|
I inserted a tokyo marui barrel...i cut it so it goes about half way into the silencer. I also drilled holes in certain points along the barrel. It now shoots dead on! However, I tried to get more power from the piston because it wasn't penetrating a paper terget from 10 feet away. I screwed up when trying to redo the piston so I have to try to fix it again.
Thanks, Keith |
 |
|
|
AlphaNiner
Major
  

USA
Member Since: 01/06/2005 |
Posted - 11/05/2005 : 07:25:06 AM
|
| Once I get my neonfire m4 im going to take off the RIS from my spring version (if it will fit, its the V2, not sure if it will) and take off the barel from the spring version and put that into the electric one. this seems like a really fun gu to mod, nice guides DJMike. |
 |
|
|
N3570R
Private
Member Since: 01/01/2006 |
Posted - 01/12/2006 : 11:25:38 PM
|
| How does the whole thing look when it's connected to the hop-up assembly? |
 |
|
| |
Topic  |
|