| Author |
Topic  |
|
|
Ziznach
Sergeant


Member Since: |
Posted - 01/03/2006 : 12:02:49 AM
|
hey me and my friend decided to make our own mortar out of a bicycle pump style thing. It turned out really good. It launches bbs up to 150 ft. in the air, then rains them down for up to 1/4 of an acre. We are still making the bipod and carrying strap, but we will have a vid up in a few days. It takes alot of pumps to get it to launch up to 150 bbs at a rate of 250-300 fps, but you can be sure that whoever is caught underneath it will be sorry.
A compartment opens in the pvc, that is hinged, and allows access to the pump. We tried to keep the Mortar looking clean and neat, but we are now experts at cutting pvc, so it didnt exactly turn out how we planned it to.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/zjw112/mortar002.jpg http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/zjw112/mortar004.jpg
This is the new mortar i made out of pvc also, it has a nicer finish, i sanded all the rough spots out but idk if you can tell from pics. it is also more compact, and can hold more bbs.



i finally figured out how to post pics directly on to the page...yessss... and my friend has vids of kids we played with that got sprayed with this thing. the only problem is that his video camera doesnt have sound, so it kinda sucks cuz you cant see all the bb's, and the huge cannon like sound that the mortar makes. it sounds like a really loud firecracker.
here is a video that i just made at my house using a digital camera, the sound really got messed up due to the fact that it is a windy day, and the mortar was pointed away from the camera.
http://media.putfile.com/mortar-1-video |
|
|
Kran
Sergeant


USA
Member Since: 03/06/2005 |
Posted - 01/03/2006 : 7:08:45 PM
|
| What kind of valve did you use? Where did you find it? And I suggest you use popcorn kernals, they work just as well, and you can save your bbs for something more important. Just a suggestion... Nice job though. |
 |
|
|
Ziznach
Sergeant


Member Since: 11/09/2005 |
Posted - 01/04/2006 : 09:51:59 AM
|
| ya, i used 4" pvc, and it has a fairly small valve from a nerf gun or high powered water gun, i dont really know. But then i threaded a tippman 98 paintball barrel to it, and it works great. I also made it to a point where it is less that 2' long, and can be carried on your back. |
 |
|
|
Kran
Sergeant


USA
Member Since: 03/06/2005 |
Posted - 01/04/2006 : 6:17:45 PM
|
Damn...I thought it was a more popular or more available valve. I wish I could have seen it shoot all 150 feet, rather than 30 feet to the garage. I love the duct tape sling |
 |
|
|
Ziznach
Sergeant


Member Since: 11/09/2005 |
Posted - 01/04/2006 : 6:21:48 PM
|
hahaha, i couldnt find another type of sling to use, so i made one. Idk if you could hear it hitting the garage door, but i used around 100 bb's. I thought it was pointless to try and show how far it could shoot since you cant see the bbs anyway
And if you want to know where to buy the parts to make it, My brother got the national geographic thing from Target, and it is an airplane type thing here's a link: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1815&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=131&iSubCat=252&iProductID=1815
i just took apart the pump (because there is a device that prevents it from being shot straight forward) and built a "shell" of 4" pvc that i found in a dumpster. I cut it the length of the pump+barrel and sanded it when finished. I also could not find any hinges laying around my house, so i used zip ties. To do this project, you would definitely need a hack saw, or sawing device.
|
 |
|
|
Vertigo
Private
Member Since: 01/16/2006 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 7:32:29 PM
|
so wait now, your friends has a trigger on it ripped out of a super-soaker, and yours does what? I'd really like to make one of these, I can get any kind of paintball barrel on the market for wholesale price, so I'm probably gonna pick up a 21 inch or something along those lines, for BB's they'll be more accurate, otherwise I'd never recommend it. But how do you pull the trigger on yours? Is it just a twist valve? I've made a few paintball mortars for scenario games, I wonder if we could power this with a twelve-gram cartridge. Hmm that ain't to bad of an idea. What we usually do is get a piece of PVC or copper tube that fits the 12 gram very tight, and then get a valve that mounts at the end of it, and get a much smaller tube which pops the tip of the 12 gram, and make it so the 12 gram is far enough into the cylinder so it won't make the back cap fly off when you torque it on there. We use a piece of threaded PVC or copper end cap and either use a hot-air gun and melt a piece of metal perpendicular to the cap so you can twist it, and then at the other end of the gun, we put a twist-valve, then the barrel. Usually, we'll mount a RIS-style vertical grip halfway down the barrel. Its fun, you sling the twelve-gram section under your arm, and then hold the grip with your right hand, pop the valve with your left. Chronoing with a nerf rocket, it goes about 280. They tend to spring leaks though. |
 |
|
|
Ziznach
Sergeant


Member Since: 11/09/2005 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 7:42:36 PM
|
| well mine is made of a built-in pump, and all I did was thread a tippman 98 barel to it. I also made my first one with a smaller width, and longer length, and it worked way better. Like i would say it went 300 fps about. I'll try to make another pretty soon, but it costs abotu $30.00 to make. Look at the link i posted on my last post. That is basically all i made it of |
 |
|
|
Rain_Man
Private
![]()
USA
Member Since: 01/26/2006 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 11:36:14 PM
|
mortar?
not to be mean but i think this thing looks retarded what is the purpose of the big tube around the outside of it
it also souds like it shoots about 100 fps |
 |
|
|
Ziznach
Sergeant


Member Since: 11/09/2005 |
Posted - 02/09/2006 : 8:38:49 PM
|
| actually, it shoots 270-300 fps. I shot my brother w/ it from about 20 feet away, and he had welts covering his entire body. The tube is the shell, and it actually looks pretty cool, you just don't know it. I know the first one looks retarded, but the secong one is a better version. |
 |
|
|
tedtay17
Major
  

USA
Member Since: 01/09/2005 |
Posted - 02/09/2006 : 9:44:54 PM
|
| MUST .... FIND..... VAlve |
 |
|
| |
Topic  |
|