Airsoft Retreat Forums
Airsoft Retreat Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Classifieds | Calendar | Map of Stores/Fields | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


 All Forums
 Airsoft Players/Groups
 Airsoft Players
 Originality Please!!! in team names
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

COMMANDÂNT
Sergeant



USA
Member Since:

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  04:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit COMMANDÂNT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If one comes across your team, whose name is very familiar, motto, and ideology the same, and then find out it was established later than the other similar team, then obviously someone lacks originality.

To clarify, out of respect do NOT base your teams basic foundations on the exact same things as another team.

All that does is serve to incite apprehension, and agression among fellow airsofters by showing how people can be. though not much can actually be done unless trademarks are involved, let's promote sportsmanship, and ask proper permissions befor making such distinctions.

~edit - VAGUE TOPIC TITLES: Topic titles need to give enough details so anyone can look at it and know EXACTLY what the subject is going to be about, or what the SPECIFIC question will be, WITHOUT having to waste potential time to go into the thread to figure this out. In other words there should be no guesswork. Titles like; "I have a question", "Which gun?", "Need help", "Super 9", "Which is better" (and the list goes on) are not acceptable. Typically the whole thread will be deleted if there is a Vague Topic Title.
-rantng

the ROOB
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 08/30/2005

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  11:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit the ROOB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love the idea of totally original teams, but i think it will be difficult to promote complete originality in groups of people who strive to reenact organizations (military forces) that are fundamentally UNIFORM..

If a team motto is something like " honor, duty, loyalty, teamwork, success" you can't really say you have a exclusive right to it... no matter how much ealier you penned it than someone else. the boy scout motto is similar too.. so did Jungletoy copy the scouts motto on its website intro? or are those concepts just common ideals to both groups (airsofters and scouts) how far out there does something have to be before it is considered original?

Team A. comes out in woodland camo with a force organization of platoon leader - squadleaders - squad specialist- infantrymen ... oh how unoriginal. Team B. has matching white shirts and red berrets to imitate the appearance of guardian angels vigilantes and play rock paper scissors to pick team leaders for each skrim. Original? yes . as effective ? probably not.

reenactment implies that you are copying some original source, two groups copy same source= neither is very original, originality is not the point for either team.

If two groups are both trying to reenact a SEAL team from the panama conflict era... common sense tells me both teams have similar motivations for starting a themed team and therefore I would not be surprised if their mottos, organization, patches ect were very similar. It is not neccessarily that either team copied the other, regardless of when they were started, it's just that the teams are both filled with members looking for a similar experience. What's wrong with that? If you want to have a totally original team that is like none other, than by all means do it, but you can't expect other teams not be similar to yours just because you were pretending to be SEALS/rangers/spetnaz/whatever first. They don't need your permission, this isn't the NFL... h3ll, it's not even the XFL ;-P

Further thinking about this ... I believe alot of teams and organizaions copy working models of organizations because they see that they work. The Cimmeranians (sp) have been aroun doing military games n such since before airsoft was even around in the US. That means the way they conduct buisness probably works. If it didn't, they wouldn't be around still. Now Im not suggesting you start a group called Similaranians and trace their patches and logos for your own, but if you go to an event website and you notice the event has been set up and run like a Cimmeran event.. that's a good thing not a bad thing, because they run good events (allegedly, I have never been to one).

Creativity is always welcome and appreciated, but I don't think it is a definite prerequisite or neccessary priority to having a successful team.

And one last thing (soory for ranting) Some of us live in places where there are NO teams at all and would welcome a few unoriginal copying trademark infringers just to have someone to play with. Even two teams called the 'Tampabay Area Seal team 6 Reenactment Society' can get together and have a good game if having good games is their goal.

ROOB





Go to Top of Page

COMMANDÂNT
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 10/03/2003

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  8:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit COMMANDÂNT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, such anger and energy put into it, just to say something. I just said "not much can be done" (par. 1, s.2), and simply implied that out of respect do not copy others. The reason ranting is so annoying is that the writer refuses to acknowledge the entire prior text just to have an excuse to rant and spite.
Go to Top of Page

the ROOB
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 08/30/2005

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  3:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit the ROOB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
??? i have no spite or anger, if you bothered to read my first sentence you'd see I said I LOVE the idea of original teams.. it's just that .. well, not everyone is creative or original, some people just want to shoot at their friends with bb's and don't care, others get into airsoft specifically so they can be apart of a team with a theme that has been done to death (BHD DELTA for example). I don't think people should be made to feel inferior just because they too want to play delta-force or seals or carry an M4 like everyone else, not everyone is a rugged individualist and not everyone knows the history, dress and firearms of obscure foreign military groups.

I don't think doing something similar to someone else is particularly disrespectful. You may have read that immitation is the highest form of flattery? that was what I was trying to get at with my example about the cimmeranian group. People copy them because they see how well they function as an organization. That's hardly disrespect... unless you call yourself the Similaranians... that's FUNNY (and probably disrespectful);)

I will repeat for the third time that I AGREE with you that origiality is a good thing, and if you have it than BONUS for you! :) but if others don't.. well that's them. they still get hit with bb's the same and you can still have a good time playing with them.

ROOB
PS I put energy into everything I do, I always explain myself too much and I hate leaving one sentence posts.. I don't need to be angry or upset to write 5 paragraphs, I can type 5000 word term papers without breaking a sweat. I was a teacher before I went into advertising, and I actually LIKE to write (in fact I am in the process of writing a 47 page product information booklet for work... it's fun) ;)

Go to Top of Page

Jest3r
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 07/23/2004

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  8:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jest3r's Homepage  Send Jest3r an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Do you realize (Commandant) that its possible for more than one person to come up with the same name?

Just because you picked a name first doesn't mean other people won't think about it too. They didn't necesarilly copy it.
Go to Top of Page

JAB31486
Private



USA
Member Since: 09/12/2005

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  2:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit JAB31486's Homepage  Send JAB31486 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly right. He doesn't realize it. Apparently his team has a perfectly orginal name that has never, ever been used by anyone in the history of airsoft. Take a look at what he said to me in the "Unity Recruiting" thread in this same topic area.
Go to Top of Page

the ROOB
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 08/30/2005

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  10:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit the ROOB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"It lurks in the shadows, silent, waiting to strike."

he stole that line from a documentary I saw about the secret lives of fleas on discovery channel.

some people have no originality whatsoever!

ROOB
Go to Top of Page

JAB31486
Private



USA
Member Since: 09/12/2005

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  8:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit JAB31486's Homepage  Send JAB31486 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, there you go Commandant. Sounds like everyone wants you to shut up. What I find even more strange is that the ROOB watches documentaries about fleas. J/K.
Go to Top of Page

COMMANDÂNT
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 10/03/2003

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  5:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit COMMANDÂNT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So you want to make me to shut up huh? better people than you have tried.

The point was not that it is not impossible for anyone to think of the same name, but the fact that It coincides with a timeline of directly after we picked it.

Same name + Same Country + Close Dates + On Airsoft Retreat,
It's called "outstanding coincidence" when the Odds are in the proportions that I am seeing.

I'm not telling you that you should change it, to change it, admit we had it first, or that you should even care, because you probably don't give a good @#!$ about what I or anyone thinks about it, and because of the basic freedoms our country instills upon individuality.
This is simply an expression of how I feel about it. ROOB, sorry for my misplaced response I kinda just skimmed over your text and made too many assumptions.

BTW, It HAS never been used before in the history of airsoft, as we did some research before being a NOOB and taking someone elses name.

Regards,
Commandant
Go to Top of Page

JAB31486
Private



USA
Member Since: 09/12/2005

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  8:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JAB31486's Homepage  Send JAB31486 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I couldn't care less if you shut up or not. How's this? You can keep your team name, and we will use the one we have whether you like it or not. We used the word Unity for a 24 hour team name. Using the word Unity when you have the word Unity in your team name is ok for us to do. You do not have a patent on the word Unity. If you want to keep this crap up then come to Dothan in March and see if your team can face two 56 man units. I doubt that any of you will show so until you do, forget that fact that we used the word Unity. You said same name+same country? It's not the same name and it isn't odd that they are in the same country. Two teams have the word Unity in their names. Big deal. GET OVER IT! Do you really think we got online and looked around for a name to steal?
Go to Top of Page

the ROOB
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 08/30/2005

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  9:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit the ROOB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey guys you are all invited to my new team here in Tampa Florida, we're called the 98th Fighting JAB31486er's (we looked around the internet and stole that name...but don't tell anyone.)

really though, this is a silly silly fight, it's beneath at least one of you and didn't either of you notice the irony of a fight over the use of the word UNITY? say it out loud, it sounds lame. better yet, go tell someone who knows nothing about airsoft or newsgroups that you and someone you know from another part of the country are arguing and possibly having a bb shootout over rights to the word UNITY.

They will think you are retarded.... worse than retarded .... BO-TARDED. say it out loud. BO TARD ED. an thats not something you want to be.
pull yourselves together, gather your wits, feel the UNITY, and pray that Iron Justice will be in Florida next year so ROOB can go!

Going Completely Off Topic, hey JAB31, is that you in your picture under your name? whats your loadout?

ROOB
Go to Top of Page

JAB31486
Private



USA
Member Since: 09/12/2005

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  6:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit JAB31486's Homepage  Send JAB31486 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ROOB, it's in Dothan. That's close to Florida. You could still come. No that's not me. I've got a CA M15A4 with a red dot scope and suppressor. It shoots 400 FPS. I've got a vest, a kevlar helmet with woodland and desert covers, a Korean Conflict gear belt and some other stuff. It's a simple loadout, but it gets the job done without a lot of preparation between games. I'm usually ready to play again within 60 seconds of finishing a game. My friends are a little bit longer with the regrouping and reloading however. You are right. This is a dumb fight. I hate fighting with people, but if they're in the mood to start a fight, I'll fight. I guess Commandant was just in the mood to argue.

P.S. I'm suing you ROOB. You can't use that name! Seriously. Dothan is in Alabama, so why couldn't you go there? We almost had it in Tallahassee though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Airsoft Retreat Forums © © 2004 Airsoft Retreat Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000