Airsoft Retreat Forums
Airsoft Retreat Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Classifieds | Calendar | Map of Stores/Fields | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


 All Forums
 Airsoft General
 Airsoft News
 AS-R: The Poor Man's Chrono
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snicker
The Man



USA
Member Since:

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  01:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit snicker's Homepage  Send snicker an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote


Looking for a cheap and easy way to chronograph your airsoft gun? You've read about using a coke can before but what's the proper way to get an accurate test? Cheesehead hopes to answer those questions with this article.

TehLlama
General



USA
Member Since: 05/25/2004

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  1:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit TehLlama's Homepage  Click to see TehLlama's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I question that a .25g BB will have an easier time puncturing a soda can -- I can't with a stock Marui gun, and since lower muzzle velocity/higher impoulse against a relatively light target is a bit iffy -- I'd say it's a mixed bag.

Also, shooting coffee cans isn't a mortal sin, just have eye protection for yourself an everything around that needs it, and don't rely on the puncturing to tell you anything.
Go to Top of Page

RLB
Death Dealer



USA
Member Since: 05/25/2004

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  1:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit RLB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have personally done this test (and shared my results with Cheesehead). The "Poor Man's Chrono" will never replace a true chronograph to determine FPS, but despite what many people say, it is consistent enough (when done correctly) to give you a ball park range of the FPS your gun is shooting. Shooting the edge of the can (top or bottom) is such a small area that results may not be as consistent as other areas of an aluminum can though.

Again, I don't advocate that this is a replacement of a real chronograph. but the results are more realistic than a lot of people give them credit for if you are not going for precise numbers.

I thought this was a good & valuable review.
Go to Top of Page

Delta D
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 08/03/2004

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  09:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Delta D's Homepage  Send Delta D an AOL message  Send Delta D a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I request another test done with .25BB
I never use .2 anymore. The ratio should remain the same with .25 BB, of course FPS will be lower.
Go to Top of Page

pyrochris
Major



USA
Member Since: 03/05/2005

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  2:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit pyrochris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was a very good analysis of the poor man's chrono. While I think the poor man's chrono is good for providing ball-park FPS figures, I never trusted redwolf's numbers. I'm glad that someone with the proper equipment and smarts revisited the poor man's chrono. Also, Coke is my favorite soft drink as it turns out, so I've got a constant supply of coke cans! By the way, has anyone tried returning coke cans for 10 cents after they have been shot? (I live in Michigan, where aluminum cans can be returned for 10 cents each)

I'm working on possibly marketing a "middle class" chronograph (my design) that will be sold on an ebay store. The device has nearly the same accuracy as an electronic chronograph when used properly. I've mentioned my idea in the past, but no one ever took me seriously.

That's lucky for me, cause now I have a great opportunity for an experimental business venture!
Go to Top of Page

TehLlama
General



USA
Member Since: 05/25/2004

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  2:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit TehLlama's Homepage  Click to see TehLlama's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I just didn't think it was thorough enough to constitue a finished article -- I say keep it open for editing, adding on, and further fleshing out so that the final Poor Man's Chrono article can be actually definitive.
Go to Top of Page

pendra37
Private

Member Since: 07/06/2004

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  1:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit pendra37's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sound chrono all the way. 1 comp 1 mic, common household items. You can set it up fast and it is very accurate.
Go to Top of Page

pyrochris
Major



USA
Member Since: 03/05/2005

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  3:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit pyrochris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pendra37

Sound chrono all the way. 1 comp 1 mic, common household items. You can set it up fast and it is very accurate.



Never heard of that before. My chrono doesn't even use electricity.

How does the sound chrono work?
Go to Top of Page

Delta D
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 08/03/2004

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  7:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Delta D's Homepage  Send Delta D an AOL message  Send Delta D a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pendra37

Sound chrono all the way. 1 comp 1 mic, common household items. You can set it up fast and it is very accurate.


you're thinking about measuring [b]ROF[/b]...
you use a mic to measure the sound of the piston hitting and measure the distance between the peaks of the sound wave
Go to Top of Page

pyrochris
Major



USA
Member Since: 03/05/2005

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  10:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit pyrochris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Delta D, don't you mean ROF?
Go to Top of Page

snaper
Private



Member Since: 09/17/2005

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  4:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit snaper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What chronograph was used in this test? I have been using a paintball chronograph in my local field, and I suspect that it is way off. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of different chronograph? What type is good for airsoft?
Go to Top of Page

snowman
Staff Writer



Member Since: 02/05/2003

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  5:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit snowman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting article.

I'm very sceptical of the Coke Can test, but this article goes some way to explaining why different people get such different results.

I'd be interested in the relative performance of some other cans (Pepsi would be a good one - I have lots of holed Pepsi Max cans

Maybe time to revisit this subject with some testing of my own (although I'll be hard pressed to generate 290+fps from a gas gun at the moment!!!)

Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Marui
BANNED



Member Since: 12/19/2004

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  5:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Marui's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice update.
Go to Top of Page

airsoft4ever
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 11/06/2005

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  08:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit airsoft4ever's Homepage  Send airsoft4ever an AOL message  Send airsoft4ever a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cool I have never tried one is it that accurate?But that's cool!Thanks!
Mr. Marui do something about that avatar ewwww.
Thanks!

~airsoft4ever~
Go to Top of Page

chewondave
Captain



Member Since: 01/11/2005

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  5:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit chewondave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this update. The Redwolf guide does have more instructive pictures, I suggest you show that the edge of the can does not literally mean the edge, but very close to the edge. I tried shooting the very edge, and suffice to say, i somehow knew even with a 550fps rifle, it's not going to go through. Otherwise, very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Lich_King87
Private



Member Since: 12/22/2005

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lich_King87's Homepage  Send Lich_King87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My friend tried this and got pretty solid results,(the fps that his gun does) however he used Faygo cans. So that may have flawed it a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Rain_Man
Private



USA
Member Since: 01/26/2006

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  11:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rain_Man's Homepage  Send Rain_Man an AOL message  Reply with Quote
when you can put a .28 almost through both sides of an empty can of green gas at ten feet in one shot like sam from replisoft you have achieved a decent fps and you can be proud of yourself.

we have estimated his mp5 A4(8inch barrel-woot!) to be shooting about 700fps with matrix .28 bb's


Edit: ...and this is related to this thread how? This is not a thread for people to boast of their or others' achievements. Keep this on topic.
- RLB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Airsoft Retreat Forums © © 2004 Airsoft Retreat Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000