| Author |
Topic  |
|
|
Mr.Pockets
Private
USA
Member Since: |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 09:25:23 AM
|
I have seen so many mixed opinions on these guns, I dont know what to think. I would love to know if they will last through some rough handling and small games (and a lot of plinking)
Please only reply if you have/had/used a kj gun enough to judge the quality.
If you are going to say "KJ iz TeH CraPPorZ!" please tell me axactly why. |
|
|
phrogg
Colonel
   

USA
Member Since: 05/22/2004 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 11:35:26 AM
|
KJ works makes a huge range of guns. Typically, the only ones to get are the NBBs or the metal slide ones, and even the metal slides have been referred to as "pot metal" - the metal sometimes shatters after a lot of use, rather than just cracking or breaking like typical plastic slides.
If you're looking for a review on the Mk. 1 carbine, I have one - check pages 2 and 3. I used it against my friend on Thursday, and he wasn't complaining when I shot him in the shoulder from 50 feet away, nor when I was taking him out from 150 ish.
The typical accuracy range on the KJW Mk. 1 carbine is around 125 feet, give or take. The gun is insanely powerful and does go through the top of a coke can, so it does, indeed, shoot more than 500 FPS using propane (green gas).
I paid $75 shipped for my Mk. 1 carbine (I got it used off these forums), and I love the thing. It was worth every penny. It seems as though the quality is good enough; the outer barrle is metal and everything is screwed together really tight. The only exception would be the plastic bolt, which wobbles around a bit, but you have to shake the gun with a bit of force to hear that. Running, keeping the gun mostly still, it makes no noise from things rattling around.
They do have adjustable hopup, and they use a fairly small allen wrench, but it's common. It's the smallest standard wrench in all the sets of standard ones (not metric). After adjusting the hopup, the gun went from grouping about 2 feet at 100 feet away to grouping about 4 inches at that distance.
Taking out your friend with a single shot is just so awesome; taking out a squad of four your friends with a single shot each is so much more so.
I'll tell you how it works after my game on Sunday, if I attend it.
Really, it's not a sniper's rifle, more of a marksman's rifle. You have to shoot and move, and you have to use either the iron sights or a red dot. A scope wouldn't do you much good, it's not accurate enough.
By the way, I've had a little experience with the pistol version. Three of my little brother's friends got them, and I tried them all once each. I can say the silver version looks like crap (flat silver? o_O dumb looking...), but the black version is nice enough looking.
The pistols didn't have their hopup adjusted, so they were probably getting four foot groups at 100 feet, but they did shoot around 400 FPS, give or take. Insanely powerful, just not accurate enough. That might be fixable if you adjust the hopup the right way though.
Hope that answered everything.
Edit:
Complete Mk. 1 carbine thread with pictures is here:
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=92519 |
 |
|
|
Mr.Pockets
Private
USA
Member Since: 11/21/2005 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 12:25:09 PM
|
Thank you.
I am looking for information on the pistols mostly. I want to know if there beretta series was as good as some people say or as bad as some people say. I am just want to know how long they will last with pot metal slides and everything. |
 |
|
|
Sulfuric_t2
Private
![]()
USA
Member Since: 04/27/2005 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 12:45:04 PM
|
I had a fully KJ plastic beretta, it shot fine, every now and again i got a leaky mag but it was easy to fix. After about a year, i started seeing a crack forming in the back of the slide. Then one day my saftey shattered and flew off the gun. I made a new one to fix it. Now the common issue i have is it jams often because there is too much play in the nozzle. I sold it to a friend for like 40 bucks and he is using the hell out of it. Usually the jamming only occurs when gas gets a little low.
I also have a KJ full metal beretta. This thing is nice. It is built like a tank. The only gripe i have was i bought the chrome one and in a few spots the crome is wearing down from metal on metal grinding. Also the loop on the bottom of the grip was plastic (the one to attack a cord to your gun) and it snapped off one day. This one as well had a few leaky mags, but it was easy to fix. Other than that if you keep it clean, it works great. It shoots about 320 fps and is pretty accurate for a pistol.
Another 2 KJ's i have is a plastic glock 23 and 27. These are sweet little guns. They have super nice crisp kick and can take a beating even though they are plastic. The only prob i have with the 23 is sometimes the bb's get jammed in the mag. I am not sure what causes this yet but it doesn't happen often. As for the 27, it barely holds enough gas in its mag for the amount of ammo it has. Its annoying cause it always is needing to be refilled.
The last KJ i have is the m700. This thing is made strong and very nice looking. It shoots hard out of the box, like 600fps. The stock inner barrel on mine was bent, the mag springs were too strong and messing up the bb's, and there was tons of spots that needed to be filed or aligned. This gun took countless hours of work and many hard earned dollars to make it shoot consistent and accurate. The end result was very consistant power and being able to tag people in game at 250 plus feet. I think my best so far was around 300 feet.
Anyways, I know a lot of people bad mouth KJ, but really they are not that bad. I have seen just as many TM gas pistols foul up and just as many other brands break too. So far I have yet to have one of my KJ's break to the point were it isn't usable. Oh and FYI, the guns i have most trouble with are KWC. I think i might just have really bad luck, but everything i get from them falls apart and doesn't work right. |
 |
|
|
bricktop2982
Sergeant

USA
Member Since: 04/04/2003 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 8:00:52 PM
|
| i have a KJ Glock 23 and i have no complaints except that over about 2 years of use the slide wobbles a bit and its a tad less gas efficient, but for 100 bucks i coudlnt go wrong |
 |
|
|
Mr.Pockets
Private
USA
Member Since: 11/21/2005 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 8:59:34 PM
|
| I am mostly looking for information on their berettas but the glocks seem to be well built. Which one will last longer and by how much? |
 |
|
|
pennywise
Civilian
    

South Sandwich Islands
Member Since: 05/31/2003 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 9:20:16 PM
|
| I loved my KJ GBB pistols. Especially the P14. |
 |
|
|
Thequestionmark
Major
  

USA
Member Since: 09/06/2005 |
Posted - 02/04/2006 : 10:53:19 PM
|
quote: Originally posted by Mr.Pockets
I am mostly looking for information on their berettas but the glocks seem to be well built. Which one will last longer and by how much?
The berretas are a pound lighter than the HFC counterpart(might be something to think about). The slides on those have been referred to as pot metal. The externals actually look good in my eyes. Performance is supposed to on par with most other GBB's in the price range. |
 |
|
|
DOUGHBOY_II
Private
Member Since: 10/20/2005 |
Posted - 02/05/2006 : 04:53:17 AM
|
| i have a plastic kjw m9. its had its share of problems. i've broken the trigger spring a few times. i had to make replacements from spring sets. the first month or so the slide would constantly get stuck and i'd have to push it back into the firing position. i use some mechanical grease for about a week and switched back to silicon lubricant and the slide has been really smooth since then. a metal piece fell off of the slide somewhere and it apparently had something to do with the safety because it doesn't work anymore. the original plastic barrel had a small crack so i replaced it with a metal one. after a few months of heavy use the mags started to leak, both of them, from the bottom. i pretty much drowned that area in lubricant and its been working perfectly in the months since. the funny thing is that i've only had it for about half a year. i've dropped it on dirt, rough pavement and submerged it completely underwater. i've used and abused this weapon and i think it works better now than it did when i first got it. i consider it just as reliable and effect as my WE dragon, which costs more than twice as much. i'd suggest the kjw m9 to anyone. just get the full metal version it'll get rid of a few complication. |
 |
|
|
d0c speed
Captain
 

USA
Member Since: 07/08/2005 |
|
|
SnakeEyes0001
Colonel
   

USA
Member Since: 06/12/2003 |
Posted - 02/05/2006 : 1:31:59 PM
|
My brother has a KJW M9. It's a plastic one. he had to replace the triggere spring once. Also the plastic barrel started to crack so he replaced it with a metal one. Now the metal one has a crack in the same place. It would be worth it to spend a little bit more money on a higher quality gun than to have to keep spending money on replacement parts. |
 |
|
|
Sulfuric_t2
Private
![]()
USA
Member Since: 04/27/2005 |
Posted - 02/05/2006 : 1:57:51 PM
|
| My friends with the TM m9's have the same problems with the cracking barrels. Also, although it isn't a m9, my KWC usp compact grip is cracking all to hell, so i don't think that it is strickly KJ that is having problems, they all have problems. Oh and on my KJ m9 full metal, no parts have ever broken on it cept that ring i described earlier, which affects the gun in no way. My plastic KJ m9 also suffered the cracking barrel and cracking slide, but both parts were replaced with metal ones and no problem has come up from them since. I had the plastic m9 for 3 years and I sold it to a friend who has had it another year. Its still going and shoots great. The metal m9 i've had for 4 years and its been dropped, lit on fire (seeing if green gas was flamable, it is), thrown, kicked full of dirt, etc and it still is going strong. It is really an accurate powerful gun. |
 |
|
|
TehLlama
General
    

USA
Member Since: 05/25/2004 |
Posted - 02/05/2006 : 2:19:36 PM
|
I think KJ makes better guns thatn people give them credit for: what's shameful is the non-existent attention to detail: magazine seals are seldom correct out of the box, spring guides are sometime molded wrong, and yes, the materials used aren't always up to snuff.
The designs used are great, and if KJ paid a weeeeeee bit more attention to detail on parts such as magazine valves, triggers, etc. then there would be a healthy line of aftermarket upgrade parts that would make them excellent red gas pistols, or uber-reliable propane guns with good accuracy.
Basically, the good eggs in the bunch are fantastic shooters that lookk good at a low price, and the 10% of lemons are paperweights that just look okay. |
 |
|
| |
Topic  |
|