Airsoft Retreat Forums
Airsoft Retreat Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Classifieds | Calendar | Map of Stores/Fields | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


 All Forums
 Airsoft Weapons
 EBB/Mini-Electric/LPEG
 Star 30 round Marui Mags in GB MP5SDs w/ PICS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sgtwiltan
Major



USA
Member Since:

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtwiltan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I managed to strip the gears in a version one GB MP5SD so I still have the shell which will be a test/project gun. I was also stubborn enough to believe that I'd be able to shoehorn the Star 10 pack of MP5 mags so I had the necessary materials to attempt this. The first thing you'll have to do is find some tubing the same diameter as the inlet tube into the hop-up chamber. You then cut a 13mm section and either tape it onto the neck that extends to the magazine from the hop-up chamber. I used a 10 mm section of the barrel shroud from one of the LPEG M16 variants. That is the end of step one. You then add 10mm spacer section to the bottom of the gearbox so the mag has a stop as well as a brace for insertion. The last step is to modify the Star MP5 mag and that is actually the easiest part. Shave the top half of the two protrusions on the back of the mag so that it will insert far enough into the magwell to engage the tubing into the Hop-up chamber. and viola you can use the $50 ten pack of Star mags. The only cons about this mod is that you will no longer be able to use the mag that came with the GB MP5SD unless you make the gearbox spacer and hop-up tube extension removable. The other con is that you'll have one or two BBs that can't quite make it up to the chamber for loading. If you're into realism this works since we never loaded our 30 round mags to full capacity to preserve the spring.

Original GB mag with tube mod and Star mag next to it
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Original GB mag close-up showing the way it locks into place
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Original star mag inserted and why the mod was needed
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Star mag modified and tube mod implemented. I forgot to include the spacer needed to keep the mag steady in the magwell but it is necessary if you don't want the mag to have a lot of movement
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Star mag in place
Image hosted by Photobucket.com




Good luck. JSG you'd like this for sure



doofus333
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 03/25/2005

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit doofus333's Homepage  Send doofus333 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
awesome. i think i'll actually get the gb mp5 now, seeing as how much easier it will be to weigh myself down with mags for it. nice work!
Go to Top of Page

justsomeguy
Colonel



USA
Member Since: 07/08/2004

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  3:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit justsomeguy's Homepage  Send justsomeguy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Woah, Very nice! And you've already done this to some mags? I'd actually try this, but with Gunblazer, we're ordering 50 round mags from China for like 2 bucks each. Terrific idea though. It's great to see someone actually figure a way to use STAR mags.
Go to Top of Page

sgtwiltan
Major



USA
Member Since: 08/17/2005

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  09:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtwiltan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justsomeguy

Woah, Very nice! And you've already done this to some mags? I'd actually try this, but with Gunblazer, we're ordering 50 round mags from China for like 2 bucks each. Terrific idea though. It's great to see someone actually figure a way to use STAR mags.



Yeah two mags. The first I shaved the nubs in the back all the way to get it into the GB MP5 but the mag release catch is set up differently in a Marui. When I stripped the gear on the GB I took the body apart and started measuring. The second mag worked great except for the last 2 BBs not making it all the way up to be chambered. You could also use Brass for the Hop-up extension which makes it much more durable. The Gearbox extension is not absolutely neccesary but I would recommend it since it makes the mod much more stable and less like to blow up on itself if the Mag gets whacked. If that happens say bye bye to the Hop-up chamber so do as I say and build the gearbox "lip" extension to securely seat the mag.
Go to Top of Page

justsomeguy
Colonel



USA
Member Since: 07/08/2004

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  9:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit justsomeguy's Homepage  Send justsomeguy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Holy Crap. I freaking love you. =)

Go to Top of Page

aguyfromthewest
Captain



USA
Member Since: 03/18/2005

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit aguyfromthewest's Homepage  Click to see aguyfromthewest's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That could be taken the wrong way.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Airsoft Retreat Forums © © 2004 Airsoft Retreat Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000