| Author |
Topic  |
|
|
Mig1
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: |
|
|
parrots
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 11/27/2005 |
Posted - 01/22/2006 : 4:10:16 PM
|
| nice work so far |
 |
|
|
BigPhish038
Probation 04/05
 

USA
Member Since: 03/12/2005 |
Posted - 01/22/2006 : 4:41:08 PM
|
| Nice sling. |
 |
|
|
parrots
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 11/27/2005 |
Posted - 01/22/2006 : 8:08:32 PM
|
| can you look through the scope and still use it? |
 |
|
|
Mig1
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 05/20/2003 |
Posted - 01/23/2006 : 12:18:54 PM
|
| Yes, the iron sight is like 3/4 from the bottom of the red dot sight to the dot. So it will work. I can raise it up to truely cowitness if I really wanted to. |
 |
|
|
Burke
Private
![]()
Member Since: 11/15/2005 |
Posted - 01/23/2006 : 10:18:32 PM
|
| You gotta post a how to and a parts listing..please. |
 |
|
|
parrots
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 11/27/2005 |
Posted - 01/23/2006 : 10:21:21 PM
|
| can you fold it down |
 |
|
|
BerzerkFury02
Private
Member Since: 01/02/2006 |
Posted - 01/24/2006 : 12:26:25 AM
|
Hey Mig,
That is some cool looking front sight you got there. I noticed you also painted the first half of the retractable stock, and was wondering what kind of paint you decided to use on the gun. I was also wondering if what kind of hinge you are going to use to allow it fold down. It appears to resemble the front sight of the M4, but was unsure how you would get something like that to fold. I am in the process of making my own front sight, but am using a g36 front sight with the top of the circle cut away.
Good job with your project, that looks really nice.
edit: just noticed the caption about using the m4 sight, i guess that answers that question. :) |
 |
|
|
Mig1
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 05/20/2003 |
Posted - 01/24/2006 : 05:55:02 AM
|
I just cut the front sight off of an M4 springer that was decomissioned by SgtWilTan.
It does fold down now. I just need to sand it down and paint it and I'll be done. The hing is just a tiny brass cabinet door hing from Lowes. I plan on using tape magnets to hold it up/down.
The entire gun was refinished with Brownells Coyote Allumahide II. Well... except for the black parts. |
 |
|
|
Burke
Private
![]()
Member Since: 11/15/2005 |
Posted - 01/24/2006 : 9:33:07 PM
|
What did you use for the Black Rubber areas? I found this stuff at LOEWS called: Plasti Dip by PERFORMIX. Its a rubber/plastic spray that gives tools and stuff that rubber/plasticy coating. I used it on my CYma G36 and its turning out pretty good. Definately gives it a cushy rubber feeling for like $6.00 after taxes (FL).
Id really like to see a how to on this...do you plan to do the rear sight as well? |
 |
|
|
Mig1
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 05/20/2003 |
Posted - 01/25/2006 : 1:02:12 PM
|
I will try that stuff from Lowes, thanks Burkel.
Yeah. I plan on doing the rear one too. |
 |
|
|
BerzerkFury02
Private
Member Since: 01/02/2006 |
Posted - 01/25/2006 : 7:51:27 PM
|
Hey Mig,
The magnet idea to keep the sight locked into position seems to be a very good idea. Would you please let us know where you are going to be able to find magnets thin enough for this project, when you finish the project?
I'm pretty sure you have already seen this diagram, but I also plan to do a rear sight mod, and wanted to show you this anyway.
http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/Pics/XM8-1.jpg
What I was going to do, was create the block that the rear sight is attached to in the picture, and then drill a tiny hole through the two sides of the carrying handle. I would make a little indentation where the side would go for a machine screw, then on the otherside, I would make a cutout for a locknut to hold the screw in place. Kinda hard to explain, but seems to be an idea that would work. Basically, the screw would run through the rail, and the block that the rear sight is attached to, holding the whole thing in place, and providing the necessary pivot point without hinges. I can make a diagram if you want, but seeing your expertise in modding, i'm pretty sure you have already thought of this and/or can be able to make a design for the lpeg xm8 based of the diagram included.
Thank you for the ideas on the front sight though. I will attempt to do the same with my gun, But I will most likely start with a rear sight first, as I am still waiting to rip the front sight off my friends m16 springer. |
 |
|
|
Burke
Private
![]()
Member Since: 11/15/2005 |
Posted - 01/25/2006 : 10:17:25 PM
|
| If you go to your local home improvement store Ive seen magnet tape, its on a roll liek Scotch tape and is adhesive on one side. Its pretty thin stuff too. |
 |
|
|
BerzerkFury02
Private
Member Since: 01/02/2006 |
Posted - 01/26/2006 : 02:27:39 AM
|
| Hey thanks a lot burke. I was unaware that they sold magnet in a tape form. :) |
 |
|
|
Burke
Private
![]()
Member Since: 11/15/2005 |
Posted - 01/26/2006 : 04:46:59 AM
|
I used to work for a small Hardware store...you see lots of cool new things every know and then. NP.
Keep the great work up Mig, I cant wait to see what else youve got in store..... |
 |
|
|
Mig1
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 05/20/2003 |
Posted - 01/26/2006 : 11:45:44 AM
|
As soon as I can find $400 I'm going to buy the Star AG36 front end and rip it appart. But intil then...
Yeah, that was the tape magnet stuff I was refering to. I got some from Lowes a year or two ago. I can't find it in the house, so I'll probably have to go buy some more. |
 |
|
|
applepie
Private
Member Since: 12/11/2005 |
Posted - 01/26/2006 : 2:59:57 PM
|
| hey mig, are you planning to put in rear iron sights too? if i remember correctly from the pictures ive seen, the xm8 has both front and rear iron sights. it seems like itd take some modifying of the carrying handle though. |
 |
|
|
BerzerkFury02
Private
Member Since: 01/02/2006 |
Posted - 01/27/2006 : 02:59:05 AM
|
Hey Mig, quick question. I can see how you made that bayonet cutout on the front of the handguard. How far did you cut? I wanted to make the same cut, but was unsure where to stop. Thanks a lot man. In a later post, I will include my template type drawing on a piece of sheet metal that I made to manufacture a front sight, and a rear sight. Seeing how you already have a front sight, probably the most useful piece of this image would be my layout for the rearsight. There are pieces I will need to make out of scrap plastic I have, but I will need to explain that later. But anyway for now, please check out the bottom left corner of the diagram. Please ignore the other pieces of the outline, as those are set aside for the front sight project I am going to do. Basically I am planning to make a clamp type mount that will mount to the simulated spring area behind the gas block, you can see the screw knob I will use just to the left of the drawing, but more on that later. Please check out this image where I outlined the important areas using photoshop. This is basically a sheet metal drawing, which I will carefully cut out with a dremel:

Link just in case: http://i1.tinypic.com/mmda1h.jpg
This rear sight will be made to attach to a plastic block which will pivot around a screw running through the sides of the carrying handle. the dark streak in the middle of the sight will be a cut-out made for screwing the sight onto the plastic block, and I designed it to be shiftable up or down, just in case I need to slide it around (also good for elevation adjustment). That metal piece to the top left of the rearsight that looks like the St. louis arch will be a piece which will mount behind the screw so I can easily push downand flip up the rear sight. This is my first step from work in progress, and I will continue to update you guys. I used the image i posted a couple posts prior as a reference to the project.
Please let me know if this gives you guys any ideas on how to handle this project. I will let you know as soon as I finish my sights. I think I need to do the front sight first, but I have already planned ahead to make the rearsight. |
 |
|
|
BerzerkFury02
Private
Member Since: 01/02/2006 |
Posted - 01/27/2006 : 05:24:05 AM
|
Update, just wanted to show you my cut out...
where the sight would lie down on the carrying handle:
www.ImageShack.us" />
holding the sight beside the rail in the "up" position (sorry for blurry image, didn't do a near shot focus):
www.ImageShack.us" />
unfinished front sight:
www.ImageShack.us" />
an attempt to hold front sight in front of rear sight (not too successful):
www.ImageShack.us" />
|
 |
|
|
Mig1
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 05/20/2003 |
Posted - 01/28/2006 : 06:03:25 AM
|
Yeah, that's pretty much the same thing I plan on doing. Except I plan on using a simple roll pin as my axle.
Every picture I have seen of the bayonet cutout goes back to the 3rd rib on the handguard, so that's how far I cut. |
 |
|
|
BerzerkFury02
Private
Member Since: 01/02/2006 |
Posted - 01/29/2006 : 05:10:53 AM
|
| Thanks a lot mig, I guess that means I might need to take that lead weight out of the handguard in order to cut far enough. I am currently working on both the ISU and BUIS mod(Front and rear), and will post pictures as soon as I am done. By the way, do you have any tips for coloring in those four circles on each side of the handguard, i was thinking paint marker, but it would still be a little difficult, unless of course you tape before you paint. How did you go about painting these circles? Thanks again. |
 |
|
|
Mig1
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 05/20/2003 |
Posted - 01/29/2006 : 1:16:54 PM
|
I painted them with a small brush. Touched up with an ultra fine sharpie.
But I plan to try and use a gray spray paint and I will have to use masking take for that. |
 |
|
|
Mig1
Sergeant

![]()
USA
Member Since: 05/20/2003 |
Posted - 01/29/2006 : 6:36:29 PM
|
99% done on the front. I just need to add the tape magnets for the most part.



 |
 |
|
|
Burke
Private
![]()
Member Since: 11/15/2005 |
Posted - 01/29/2006 : 11:12:52 PM
|
Awesomeness.
Not to jack the thread but has anybody considered doing a carbine mod? Maybe with bondoing the front end? www.ImageShack.us" /> |
 |
|
|
BerzerkFury02
Private
Member Since: 01/02/2006 |
Posted - 02/01/2006 : 01:43:18 AM
|
Wow very nice. I was thinking of maybe painting my gun a dark grey color, however will probably hold off on that after I have akready made all the cuts on my gun (no sense painting it, only to potentially ruin the paintjob by cutting it up and needing to repaint it again). The grey color would probably similar to the color which burke had posted regarding the carbine variant. I don't have much time during the weekdays to do my modding, so if I have any progress it will probably occur during the weekends. It would be around this same time I would be able to update you guys with it.
Thank you for all the ideas on these XM8 projects so far mig, I and a whole bunch of others, probably would not have thought of doing these mods, had we not seen success stories or seen instructions on how to tackle projects such as the BUIS, and the ISU mod. |
 |
|
| |
Topic  |
|