Airsoft Retreat Forums
Airsoft Retreat Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Classifieds | Calendar | Map of Stores/Fields | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


 All Forums
 Airsoft General
 Sniper's Perch
 Low, Mid, or High mounts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Drake687
Private



USA
Member Since:

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Drake687's Homepage  Send Drake687 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to buy scope mounts for my kj m700, and couldn't seem to find any threads on people's preferences/reccommendations for either low, mid, or high scope mounts. What is the most preferred choice for height among most players (if there is one)? Thanks!

craiglist
Private



USA
Member Since: 10/10/2005

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  12:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit craiglist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use the tall mounts. As you said though, it's all personal prefrence.
Go to Top of Page

Eddy72
Captain



USA
Member Since: 11/27/2004

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  1:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddy72's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Low mounts are preferable for scopes with smaller Objective Lenses, such as 32mm-40mm.

However anything above 50mm will require Mid to High-rise mounts for the immense Lens size.
Go to Top of Page

Snowwolf
Sergeant

United Kingdom
Member Since: 06/29/2005

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  1:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Snowwolf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 50mm lens needs high rise mounts.
Go to Top of Page

craiglist
Private



USA
Member Since: 10/10/2005

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  1:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit craiglist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My scope has a 32mm objective and even with the high mounts i've only got like .25 inch clearence between the bottom of the scope and the rail.
Go to Top of Page

Compton
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 11/05/2005

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  5:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Compton's Homepage  Send Compton an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the front of the scope and personal preference. If it'll fit, I like mid heights because I don't have to crane my neck akward but I can still be comfortable if I'm above where I'm aiming at looking down. Take the sights of the M16, for example. I love 'em; when I shoulder the rifle, they automatically line up. Same thing with the Steyr AUG scope.
~Matt
Go to Top of Page

Sulfuric_t2
Private



USA
Member Since: 04/27/2005

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  10:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sulfuric_t2's Homepage  Send Sulfuric_t2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it depends heavily on what type of eye protection you are wearing. If you are wearing just goggles or saftey glasses, then you can pick and choose whatever mounts look best to you. If you are wearing a full face mask, you will need tall mounts, you will prolly need to modify the mask as well so you don't have to twist your head so far. I have to wear a full face mask at the field i play at, so I needed the tallest mounts i could find for my m700 and I also needed to cut a chunk out of my mask so i could get my head lined up comfortably with the scope.
Go to Top of Page

kawasakiguy37
Colonel



USA
Member Since: 03/11/2004

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  01:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit kawasakiguy37's Homepage  Send kawasakiguy37 an AOL message  Click to see kawasakiguy37's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You want the lowest mounts that:

Allow your scope to physicaly fit on the gun without hitting or something

and

Does not really get in t he way when you are cocking the bolt
Go to Top of Page

50BMG
Captain



USA
Member Since: 07/06/2005

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  06:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit 50BMG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the lowest possible is best. For an example on rings, Talley Low mounts fit on a M700 with a Nikon Tactical, which has a 50mm objective, any bigger and it would need mid-high mounts.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Stalker
Captain



Canada
Member Since: 01/18/2004

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  07:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Canadian_Stalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sulfuric_t2

I think it depends heavily on what type of eye protection you are wearing. If you are wearing just goggles or saftey glasses, then you can pick and choose whatever mounts look best to you. If you are wearing a full face mask, you will need tall mounts, you will prolly need to modify the mask as well so you don't have to twist your head so far. I have to wear a full face mask at the field i play at, so I needed the tallest mounts i could find for my m700 and I also needed to cut a chunk out of my mask so i could get my head lined up comfortably with the scope.



Bingo! I had medium mounts on my M24, found that while wearing PB goggles, by the time I was able to get a cheek weld and get a clear picture though the scope, the goggles were being forced off to the left, with huge dangerous gaps. I switched to high mounts, solved part of the problem. Then I went to wrap around safety goggles, since one local field allows them, problem solved. Then I moved onto Bolle 800s and no more problems at all. And when I bought my KJW M700, I automatically went with highmounts, becuase anything less would be dumb with my 3-9x40 scope. And, since you have the same gun, kee in mind you need hop up adjustment dial clearance. Fact is, no matter what scope you use (ok, within reason) you'll need highmounts anyways to adjust your hop up.
Go to Top of Page

Harenil
General



USA
Member Since: 03/02/2003

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  08:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Harenil's Homepage  Send Harenil an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Remember, the higher the scope, the greater the paralax error, that being said, I use the lowest I can for the scope.
Go to Top of Page

50BMG
Captain



USA
Member Since: 07/06/2005

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  06:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit 50BMG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bacically, Harenil has got it right. Try to get it as low to the gun as you can.
Go to Top of Page

TehLlama
General



USA
Member Since: 05/25/2004

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  06:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit TehLlama's Homepage  Click to see TehLlama's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I use low mounts with my 40mm M3 -- seems to work fine. If you're stuck with a mask, odds are you're better off eating the sighting error and using high mounts regardless.
Go to Top of Page

Harenil
General



USA
Member Since: 03/02/2003

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Harenil's Homepage  Send Harenil an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if you have a mask, you really got no choice... I use Bolle T800's so, I'm fine with lows.
Go to Top of Page

Elite_Sniper
Private



Member Since: 09/28/2005

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  12:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elite_Sniper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some people use custom stocks so they can use the lowest rings. Just takes a lot of plastic works. A small section is cut out where you normally rest your mask on the stock.
Go to Top of Page

scalpel ninja
Private



USA
Member Since: 12/23/2005

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  7:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit scalpel ninja's Homepage  Send scalpel ninja an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Harenil. I have a low mount on my M700 that holds a 3-9x50 scope. It barely fit with a 1/8 inch clearance, but I can still have my sun shade and covers on it. The only thing is, I have to remove the cover to be able to turn the focus all the way around from 2.5m to infinity. Otherwise, I'm limited by the hinge on the cover hitting the outer barrel.
Go to Top of Page

odiusXpopulis
Sergeant



USA
Member Since: 10/10/2004

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  01:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit odiusXpopulis's Homepage  Send odiusXpopulis an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Problem with the KJW 700 is the hopup adjustment knob. Currently, I have a rather small scope (I don't honestly know how large) with low rise mounts and the scope body tube is sitting on the hopup adjustment knob. You can still adjust it however, it's a pain in the arse. I would recommend rings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Airsoft Retreat Forums © © 2004 Airsoft Retreat Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000